Thursday, May 24, 2012

Identity Crisis

Identity crisis, when someone struggles defining who someone is, usually themselves.
How are we identified as people, as a person? What criteria do we use; what we look like, how we dress, who we hang out with, what we believe?
Of course not! Society has somehow evolved into defining a person by what they do occupationally, and only that. The second sentence after "Hi my name is" is "What do you do?" And we simply reply without thought, "Oh I'm in real estate." And within two sentences "Becky, in real estate" has been defined, identified, classified, categorized, and all the like.

Now, as I find myself being asked that question by the lovely people of Myrtle Beach I can't decide if i want to be a wise guy or say something thoughtful.  I usually say something like "I'm exploring my options" which i think sounds optimistic and better than "unemployed". Though I chose to quit my job, think about how devastating that question could  be for someone who didn't choose that.

With the help of 48 Days to the Work You Love and having time to reflect I have been able develop a better idea of what I want (the question that started the avalanche last Sept.) and how all jobs along the way should support your overall life calling/purpose not directly define it. Instead of asking "what do you do?" why not ask, "what is your calling?" or even, "what do you like to do?"  How many people work at banks or schools but have passion's in life that have nothing to do with their job.

So I encourage you, the next time you are asked "what you do" be creative with your answer. Also try to be original, start a conversation with a genuine question or topic not a routine, thoughtless one. You would probably get to know and understand someone a lot better that way, that is of course, if you care to know and understand them.

3 comments:

  1. Kat so glad you are writing again totally worth the wait..."So what do you like to do?" Hope your doing well and your missed at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike, I appreciate the support, it's needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I may not be all thatnice but I do hope you find something great out there for yourself...you desrve it and keep your head up! Your a very determined and special lady!

    ReplyDelete